Friday, December 29, 2006

What Have I Got That I Can Give?

When I was a kid (not that I've outgrown the child in me!), I used to watch those child fund adverts and think how lucky I was that my life didn't suck as bad as the children of poverty stricken nations. I'm sure you know- or at the very least heard of- huge NGOs like Unicef, World Vision or OXFAM.

The elders around me would remind me of the many blessings and privilages I have as a child and to be grateful that I have a roof over my head, clean water, all the food I want, nice clothes and the presence of a loving family. It was one of those "eat your vegetables! Try living the lives of those in Africa or Bosnia" lectures.

Yes, when I saw those adverts as a kid, I felt gratitude for all that I've been blessed with. Now, as an older person, everytime I see such adverts- the kind that ask you to pick up the phone and sponsor a child, all I feel is pain, anger and utter frustration.

I empathize, or at the very least attempt to understand what the litttle ones are going through. I try to understand the pain that they must be living in every single day untill they reach the end of thier lives, waiting for some kind soul to extend a helping hand.

I feel anger. I'm angry at the irresponsible people who are responsible for bringing more life into this cruel world. Young, innocent lives who deserve better than the crap they are subjected to live because some jerk-off knocked up a poor girl (or maybe not so "poor") in the backseat of his car in a dark alley. Of course that's not the ONLY reason for unwanted pregnancies. I'm angry because men don't always think about possible repercussions of sticking thier dicks where it doesn't belong! Sorry about the harsness; I don't know how to say it courteously. I'm angry because women are oblivion to the fact that it could happen to ANYONE and so they sometimes take stupid risks. Yeah, I know- these "accidents" don't make up the millions of people living in poverty. Poverty has other causes, I KNOW that. Albiet, I can't help but think there is a significant ammount of contribution.

I feel frustration. I'm fed up with the fact that there is nothing I can do to financially help them, because it seems to be what they really need. I know that there are other ways and I'm looking at other avenues in which I can pitch in. But seriously, it's times like these I wish I was a billionaire so I could call up Unicef and say, "Hi, I'd like to make a monthly pledge of *insert how much you think a (generous) millionaire would give*. I'm not trying to be all noble and holier than thou, but i do honestly wish that sometimes.

Pehaps i should take some courses to become a certified social worker...but that would mean having to give up all my big dreams. I'm not ready to give up my nice life but on the other hand, I can't sit still and do nothing. Does it sound like I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too?

I have two hands and a willing heart. Do with it what you will, Father.

No comments: