Sunday, December 03, 2006

Lima Beans

I was never one to appreciate art in its literal form. I believe it's commonly refered to fine arts. For illustrative purposes, lets just say that I would make an absolute dimwit of myself if I were to become the director of an art centre/gallery. On the other hand, I don't altogether not have an interest for the arts. Heck, if you knew me well enough, you'd instantly be able to point out that I've nothing, if not total love for the arts. If anything, when God created me, He spent more time developing the artistic part of me rather than the scientific half. That's just the way I'm wired. Although, I must admit that in high school I didn't like that part about me because it made unappealing dents in my report card.

But it's all good now. I've learnt to accept and love that part of me now and wouldn't so much as step foot into a science lab (not if I can help it).

ANYWAY, so there was this art exhibition this week. I thought I'd check it out. Like lima beans- you've got to try it once in a while to see if your taste has changed. And I'm pleased to say that yes, my taste HAS changed. As I stepped into the rotary club (because that was the 'gallery') I found myself entranced by this one particular piece. I mean, I went around in circles only to come back to the very same spot and pour myself into that one piece. At that moment there was only one thing running through my mind: Gosh, I wish I had a check book and a bank account with at least $450! I wonder if the artist noticed that I couldn't take my eyes off her work.

I don't know what made me become so captivated. It's one of those inexplicable feelings; totally and stunningly enigmatic. I obviously can't show you the painting but I'm sure you're able to realte to the feeling. It's just amazing how some thing so simple can evoke so much within a person! Just so. A-MAY-ZING! I still can't get the painting out of my head and it's been more than 12 hours!

I once watched a scene on television where this character was so baffled by a painting she saw that all she could do was stand frozen in one position as tears began to weld up her big brown eyes. Simply because it was the most amazing thing she'd ever seen. But then again, she was director of a prominent art gallery so I suppose her character called for a better understanding for the fine arts. Also, I think the fact that she (the actor) had eyes that spoke a million words added to her advantage. I however, didn't get what was so astounding about the painting and I remember saying out loud, "hey, that's just a couple of squigles and lines and dots. Even I can do that!"

But I think I finally understand what the character and the scene and the paiting was trying to convey to its viewers. And oh, what a feeling!

Man, I'm so glad I'm more artsy than science-y. After all, life in itself is an art, no? I'm in no way trying to diss those who're wired to be science-y and mathamatically intelligent. I just wish, some of my high school teachers understood that one is not better than the other and groom thier students according to the way they're wired. That's another story altogether, though. For another time.

No comments: