Friday, December 22, 2006

Deck the Halls and Empty Your Pockets

It's that time of year again. The time where shopping malls become temporary mad houses pouring with last-minute shoppers profusely trying to buy everything their hands can possibly carry. It's that time of year where retail outlets slap on big "MEGA SALE" signs at the entrance trying so very hard to get rid of this season's 'in' things so they can make way for a fresh start come autumn. I still remember in Malaysia, now's the time you'll see adverts all over the telly and radio and see big bilboards that say "the whole of Malaysia is on sale"- which I personally thought sounded like the country is being put up for sale! Anyways, so, for these next few days only everything you once bought at 400 bucks are knocked off by up to 80% and you curse yourself for not waiting. Then you have those compulsive shoppers who have the inordinate urge to buy everything under the sun just because it's on sale. Nevermind not needing half the things they buy. These, I believe, is what we call...shopperholics? It's estimated that in New Zealand, over 3million EFTPOS* transactions will be made over the weekend, with 100 transactions per second.

But on the other hand, you have those people who were so busy working, be it balancing financial accounts or finnishing paperwork, that they comppletely forgot about buying presents and hence only have 48 hours till that all-important christmas family dinner to check off everything on thier list of "presents to buy". Also, not forgetting the procrastinators like me for instance (and probably more than 85% of the world over!) who wait to shop at the very last minute just for the heck of it. It's all part of the Christmas spirit and charm, I say.

In many ways, the holidays is a pretty big deal to a lot of people. Some use this time to catch up with loved ones they've not seen in ages; others use it as a time of reflection; some use it as an excuse to get away with recking trouble saying, "hey, lighten up. It's Christmas- people are supposed to be nice to each other!" Still others are just in dire need f this break because they've been slogging all year long to bring home the bacon. All the same, it's a season of sharing, good food, merry making and I reckon it's the only time of year where you can hug anyone you want without having to feel awkward.

So, what does this Christmas mean to me? Well, for one thing it is certainly going to be a quiet and different one. Actually, different is an understatement. I'm in a foreign land with only three other people to call family and I'm missing my girlfriends dearly. The weather is unbelievably miserable and almost everyone I know are away. But I suppose it's times like these you try finding comfort in the presence of aquaintances and make the best of the people and things around you, ey? The way I see it, I've two choices: I could spend Christmas alone feeling sad and bummed that my pals and family (other than daddy, mom and sis) are a million miles away; or I could embrace Christmas all the same and find cheerfulness in the people I barely know. Perhaps this is the time to know them a little better.

I think I shall opt for the latter.

So, what does this Christmas mean to me? It means finding joy and gratitude in the changes God dealt me. Being able to trust Him and thrust myself and as I relish this holidays, I realize one thing:

When I can't feel you, I have learned to reach out just the same.
Though I can't hear you, I know you still hear every word I pray.
And I want you more than I wanna live another day.
As I wait for you, maybe I'll be more faithfull.

*EFTPOS is like a debit card over here. It certainly makes my life a heck of a lot easier, not having to carry cash. Yet, I still don't understand why people want credit cards here.

3 comments:

Flo said...

BLESSED CHRISTMAS, NAVEE!!!

Btw, my blog add's a little changed:
www.florencef.blogspot.com

Have yourself a very merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Hey GOD BLESS


BLESSED CHRISTMAS!!

take care

M.Y. Chong said...

Merry Xmas Navee! *sends you huggles and virtual eggnog*