Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Album Review

I bought a CD today. It was Brooke Fraser's "ALBERTINE". If her name doesn't ring a bell, fret not. I barely knew she existed untill I came to New Zealand. And I reckon the reason for that is because she's not from America, which sucks. The fact that I hadn't heard of her before, I mean- not because she's not American. She's actually a New Zealander (which probably explains why she's more famous here and in Australia).

I thought I'd give my two cents about what I think of her songs and hopefully "persuade" you to go out and get the album =)


Have you ever heard or saw or read something that made you wanna go out and change the world? These feelings don't come easy for me, seeing how I'm a self declared big skeptic. And let me tell you, "ALBERTINE" is one of the very few powerful albums I've come across. Of all the albums I've reviewed during my internship at Xfresh, I can honestly say this is the ONLY album that gripped me from beginning till end. I even purposely went for a super long drive just so I could hear the whole album in the car!


To me, what makes a good album is not so much the flash music. It's more of how the lyrics gel with the music. Music that compliments its lyrics. For example, if the lyrics go something along the lines of "devotion, peace, comfort and so forth" you wouldn't expect to sing it to the tune of that of heavy metal. Or would you? I know for a fact that the words of such a song would carry more meaning if sung at a less heavy sound. "ALBERTINE" is an album well done from that aspect. Fraser's got a knack for pairing rhythm and lyrics and give her songs depth and meaning.


Speaking of which, the lyrics are far too simple. Which is a good thing. Shows absolute honesty and let you know that you don't need to know flash words to write songs.


In short, I'd say that this is probably one of the most honest compilation of songs you'll hear in this age. One a personal note, I'm amazed at her on-going love affair with Rwanda.

1 comment:

M.Y. Chong said...

Your post reminded me - I've been given an opportunity to listen to a J-band that sings about very many things, including personality-by-blood type, worldly troubles, growing up and the power of music. And of course some love and smush.

Their lyrics are so stupid I keep falling about laughing(Their brand of rap is just inherently funny, and they manage to rhyme 'ambitious' with 't-shirts'). but the subject matter is so commonplace that it's adorable. I think that's part of their appeal, as Kuali also seems to like 'em.