Friday, November 17, 2006

Shopping for a House

It's a perfect Friday morning and for once in a long time I'm awake before 9a.m. A beatifully sun-drenched day, spring is in the air, the flowers have all come to full blossoms, and I'm in a swimming mood. Yep, it's a nice day and I'm going to town barefoot! No way I'd do that back home though.

It's Friday morning, which also means my morning paper today is The Eastern Property Press. Mom and Dad have been on a hunt for the perfect home for the past three months now and I thought I'd make it a little easier on them by naroowing down their search. What they fail to realize though, is that unless they build a house from scratch with raw materials, they are never going to find the perfect house- well, at least not according to their spesifications anyway. So, the only thing I can do is to single out possible options that have almost everything they're looking for, but Mom always manages to find something that's not up to her standard. Sigh. I hope reality dawns upon them soon; otherwise they might go crazy and I can't have them that way!

It never occured to me how much I dislike computer lingo until I read something my sister wrote recently. Now that I've mentioned it, I loathe (yeah, it's a strong word) computer lingo. I can understand why people use it in text messages. I mean, those telco people didn't coin the term Short Message Service (SMS) for no reason right? Of course not! Heck, I use- and make up my own- text message lingo in most, if not all, my test messages. But here's the thing. When I'm on the computer I write things the way they should be written- the kind of words and spelling we were taught tu use in school. Why? Because I find it to be much more appealing to read.

Like this blog for insttance. I may use standard abbreviations , but that's all they are- standard abbreviations. I just can't bring myself to write my posts like "dis" and I "dun" "noe" if this is me being anal or me being just like every other good user of the language. For one thing, I'm not that great a speller (I'm still working on that) so I try to look up words (what will I do without dictionary.com!) as I go along so not as to take the shortcut instead.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to be a smart ass or poke fun at those who're used to writing that way. I'm just wondering why those people write the way they do. Aren't they afraid that it may work its way into formal or academic writing, without them even realizing it! I hope they're mindful of that, for their own sakes. But I guess, at times it's fun to read something with computer lingo. Still, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to let computer lingo slide into my writing. Probably becasuse I'm a soon to be journalism student...

This doesn't categorize me someone who's not tech savvy. Or does it?

Nah, in my defence, I do know how to use a computer and most of its programs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Naveena, Samuel is here with a new blog... to check it out.

Rachs said...

Hey gal!..well I totally agree with what you mentioned-"Aren't they afraid that it may work its way into formal or academic writing, without them even realizing it!"..Well I hope people are mindful of it too!..
I am!Lately~..which is why I try my best to remember not to type computer lingo whenever I blog, because I realise that I'm quite used to it. Especially when I started working. I'm so used to it that it becomes a habit whenever I return my client's email. Everytime I realise it half way and had to correct almost every word before I send the email out.Cause you realy can't return business mails in computer lingo. Though some people do, but I realise that it becomes so informal and inappropriate. Like so not serious about the business.So unprofessional.

That's why I decided to be more concious about it. I support your thoughts. =)But when it comes to msn/sms - Com lingo is a must to save time and $$..lol.